Fáilte - Welcome
Polochar Inn stands in a beautiful location at the South West tip of South Uist in the Outer Hebrides. Built on the water's edge, it is the prefect base for a relaxing holiday in Uist.
This 4 star inn was once a change-house: a place where one could wait for the ferry when travelling between South Uist and Eoiligarry in Barra. The orginal building dates back to circa 1750 and to this day retains many of it's orignal features. Today the inn comprises of 11 en-suite rooms, lounge/public bar, dining room and function area.
The name 'Polochar' comes from the Gaelic 'Poll a Charra', meaning inlet (Poll) and large stock or rock (Charra) - inlet of the stone. This refers to the standing stone situated across from the inn which is thought to date from the early Bronze Age 2000 BCE. The stone stands over 1.7 metres high and up to 1.5 metres wide.